Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Coming Soon!

I got a little work done this weekend. Saturday morning started out as kind of a bummer (I think it had to do with the heavy June gloom.)

Sunday was the official start of the Halloween Hunt. Halloween Hunt?

Long story short, my mother in law owns the best Halloween store you'll step foot in, and she does everything from building the shelves to running the store to packing it up herself, with the help of her long time best friend. Erik and I spend a lot of time helping with the set up, which is our favorite part. It's not your typical Halloween store, in that it's kind of a haunted house, Disneyland, and gift shop rolled into one. Lots of ridiculous displays. Since it's a temporary store (Sept-Nov. 1) we never know where the store will be until about July. Right now, it looks like it's going to be the biggest store she's had. That means LOTS of displays. So Sunday my bro and I scoured a few thrift stores and the swap meet in search of pirate loot. We scored at the thrift store, swap meet was a bust. Except I found a nifty little sewing chair for $12. I'll post a before and after, it needs paint and a new cover.

Sunday afternoon I got to work on the dolls. My surfer girl is almost done. I figured out the patterns for a bikini top and boardshorts, as well as the hoodie, which I thought would be really difficult but was actually the easiest part. Last night I got most of the sandals figured out. So I just need to give her a face and finish the sandals and she'll be finished!

Scary Bird Lady is fairly close to completion also. I finished the trim on her pinafore and bought new fabric for her shoes. Her shoes have been a real pain in the !@#. But I think I'm close to having them figured out. I may actually make a new body, I'm not sure about the color of her face, but I've gotten good feedback so we'll see.

Seashell collector (she's been named Melanie because as I didn't even realize until Erik pointed out, she creepily resembles a good friend of ours who happens to be an avid shell collector), is only awaiting shoes. So it looks like all signs point to tonight being shoe night?

I hope to have more pics posted by Thursday at the latest.

No comments: